Wednesday 24 March 2010

Terracotta Butterflies

Hey there

How is your week going? It's been busy here so far, but we're halfway to the weekend now so I get to create and play more then, yay!

Here is a card that I made for the Clean and Simple Challenge FTL #83 this week. I have had my eye on this paper for AGES, but whenever I've tried to do something with it the card has looked a little bit too busy, if you know what I mean. So using the clean and simple challenge this week I decided to just cut the butterflies out and add them to a card.


I'm not sure if you can see, but I embossed the black behind the panel.  It needed a bit more oomph!

1. Cut out black card for base and emboss using Sizzix embossing plate (this is the one that came with the machine so I'm not sure what it's called), adhere to white card stock base
2. Cut out a terracotta rectangle, and a smaller white rectangle.
3. Stamp the sentiment on the white rectangle, add a couple of K & Co stamped butterflies to finish and layer as shown above.
3. Cut out a strip using the Martha Stewart border punch, attach to terracotta border before pop dotting the panel and adhering to the card
5. 'Fussy cut' three butterflies from Basic Grey paper, pop dot two on the top panel, stick the third one directly onto the black card, attach gems to give it a bit of bling!

Dies: Sizzix (purple) embossing folder
Stamps: K & Co Amy Butler Lotus Greeting Stamps (butterfly and sentiment)
Paper:Basic Grey 'Ambrosia - Winsome', terracotta, black and white Bazzill cardstock
Accessories: Martha Stewart doily lace punch, swarowski gems

I just went over to get the links for the card at CAS, and noticed that my card is similar to Heather Pulverenti's.  I remember seeing it once when I first saw the design, but must have subliminally picked up her idea of butterflies and 'thinking of you' sentiment.  Oops, sorry Heather, I didn't do that intentionally!!  It's only now I've come to post it that I've realised.  Do any of you do that?  Sometimes I look through SO many images (usually when I've got a bit behind in my Google Reader!) that I end up combining ideas without even realising.  Isn't the power of the mind scary?!  That's why I try not to watch all of those chocolate adverts that come on between breaks on TV, I then have an obsession with whatever chocolate it is they are advertising and want to rush out and buy it lol.

That's it from me for today.  I do have a few more cards to share, so will be popping back soon when I can squeeze in five minutes!  I will also be sharing my new card for this week's Play Date Cafe Challenge.  Don't forget to play along!



6 comments:

  1. Great work, Ruby! I love how much color you bring to your creations : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worry that I do it without realising!!! I hope not :)
    Love the butterflies, they're very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty and elegant. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the sketch, love the colorful fluttering butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to cute... you have been one BUSY creative girl lately! And amazing as it is you always put a smile on my face with all the great details you add! I took a closer look at the card and see the embossing in the background is perfect with the butterflies!!!! The black is a classy touch... Have a super weekend Ruby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great use of that paper! I love the cut out butterflies!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for popping by to view my blog and for taking the time to leave a message. I really appreciate your feedback. Ruby xx

 
Blog Design By -Lindsey Joy Design- ©All Rights Reserved